Friday, January 27, 2017

The Art of the Affair by Catherine Lacey & Forsyth Harmon

  • THE BOOK
    • The Art of the Affair: An Illustrated History of Love, Sex, and Artistic Influence by Catherine Lacey. Illustrated by Forsyth Harmon.
    • Published January 3, 2017
    • Other works by author: Nobody is Ever Missing

  • THE PREMISE
    • Using watercolor illustrations and dotted lines, the book connects the various relationships of authors, artists and performers.
      • Examples: Gertrude Stein, Ernest Hemingway, Josephine Baker, Andy Warhol, Robert Mapplethorpe, Frida Kahlo, John Cage and many more.
      • It's sort of a "six degrees" thing.
    • It covers only from the late 19th Century through the 20th Century with a focus on the early 1900s.

  • MY THOUGHTS
    • I saw this book reviewed somewhere (Entertainment Weekly? Time?) and it was available at my library immediately so here we are.
    • It took me about 30 minutes to read so I finished it even though I wouldn't have if the book had been longer.
    • I like the premise but I did not know who many of the people were so I didn't care that they were involved with people I had heard of:
      • Juliet Browner, Caresse Crosby, Reynaldo Hahn, Erick Hawkins, and many others.
      • These people were all artists in one form or another so they are known to many enthusiasts but my education and interests have never led me to them before now.
    • It didn't help that the captions were kind of confusing. 
    • This book just wasn't for me but I would think it would be enjoyed by those who have studied art and artists.
    • ★ ★

1 comment:

  1. Did the book connect Frida Kahlo to Baby Gerald Samson, Bert or Count Olaf?

    ReplyDelete