Thursday, December 15, 2016

Spark Joy by Marie Kondo

  • THE BOOK
    • Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
    • Published January 5, 2016
    • Other works by author: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and Life-Changing Magic: A Journal: Spark Joy Every Day.
      • I have read and reviewed the first book here. You will need to scroll down to get to it.

  • THE PREMISE
    • The KonMari method of tidying up involves piling up your possessions by category and then decide if each individual item "sparks joy". If it does, keep it. If it does not, thank it and let it go.
      • This means EVERYTHING: underwear, toenail clippers, stapler, photos, hammer, etc...
      • "KonMari" because names in Japan go last name-first name.
    • This book is more of the same advice with the addition of cute little diagrams.

  • MY THOUGHTS
    • I had not intended reading this book but I found it at the library on the "Lucky Day" shelf.
      • Our library places a copy of most popular books that aren't available for interbranch loan. You can only check them out if you happen to see it on the day you are at the library. Hence, Lucky Day!
    • The obsessive need to determine whether an item of clothing "sparks joy" --- a term you may come to loath as you read the book --- and then fold it for storage? It's not the method for me but I am fascinated with how committed the author is with this approach.
    • I am fascinated also by the fact that the author's name is rendered "Kondō" on Good Reads and Amazon. I assume the line over the second O indicates a long o sound (i.e. "oh").
      • Is it necessary? Would there be any confusion on how to pronounce it? Kon-dah? Kon-due? Kon-doe? Is this a specific Japanese language thing? 
    • A quick read but it tends to be repetitive. A pamphlet would probably be enough for most people rather than a book.
    • Recommended for those interested in a way to tame clutter and find a new method of tidying. Which is NOT the same thing as cleaning, KonMari points out!
      • You are either going to love this book or hate it.
      • There is an amazing review on Good Reads by a woman named Diane. It is HILARIOUS. (I don't know if you can read reviews on Good Reads without signing up.)
        • One quote that my pun-loving husband will especially enjoy: "I don't own a camisole but it's good to know that if I had one I shouldn't "criticize it for its failure to stand up." This criticism would be very bad for the cami's soul. I totally get that but am I missing out on something big by not having a camisoul?"
        • One more: "Exactly what vibes do your clothes give off that let you know whether they're happier being folded or hung? Mine just don't seem to care. Do I need to stop buying my clothes at Walmart?"

1 comment:

  1. Since here books are translated from the Japanese, maybe "spark" means a burning desire to keep, or just burn.

    ReplyDelete