Thursday, December 29, 2016

I'm Your Biggest Fan by Kate Coyne

  • THE BOOK
    • I'm Your Biggest Fan: Awkward Encounters and Assorted Misadventures in Celebrity Journalism by Kate Coyne
    • Published June 14, 2016
    • First book by author

  • THE PREMISE
    • The author has worked for the New York Post's "Page Six" column and Good Housekeeping editor and currently works at People Magazine as Executive Editor.
    • This is her story of a career as a celebrity journalist. Lots of stories about different A-list celebs in every chapter: Tom Cruise, Michael Douglas, Neil Patrick Harris, Mariska Hargitay, Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Jennifer Lopez, and more. Some are not quite A-list: Kate Gosselin rates a chapter too as reality stars invade the celeb world.
    • It also documents how magazines changed their cover focus once celebrities learned that appearing on the cover of Good Housekeeping was a good thing. 
      • Twenty-six million readers!
      • More people will buy a cover with a celebrity on it than with just a still life of Halloween pumpkins or Easter eggs or what have you.
      • Now try to find a magazine that features any kind of celebrities without a celeb on the cover. Good luck!

  • MY THOUGHTS
    • The author's gossipy and frank stories about her bosses and the celebrities she meets are lots of fun to read. So many of these types of books might tend towards coy rather than dish the goods. This author dishes everything, including her own missteps over the course of her career.
      • Nothing is terribly mean, just amusing accounts of how certain celebrities behave better than others.Just like regular people!
      • Some celebrities come off better than I expected. 
        • I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan but he does seem like a nice guy here. 
        • George Michael --- can't believe he's gone now --- was awfully kind to the author when she was an awkward teen.
        • Even Kate Gosselin engenders sympathy as she navigates her new kind of celebrity: the reality star.
      • Some not so much.
        • Kate Gosselin's ex-husband. 
        • After interviewing Mariska Hargitay the author is invited to her home to join in charades night. Mariska even asks for her phone number to make arrangements but then never calls. Why would she ask for a phone number and then never call?! I guess she just got caught up in the moment because she seems completely nice and down to earth. This particular anecdote is a running thread throughout the book as the author runs into the actress again down the line.
      • Some celebs are in a class by themselves:
        • Tom Hanks only proves that he should be canonized immediately.
    • The author does seem to have lived a charmed life and her talk of annual summer trips to the Caribbean and her private schools were a bit much as she herself admits but as a celebrity watcher and wannabe writer, I definitely envy her work life!
      • I assumed most celebrity journalists become more jaded about celebrity meetings but that doesn't seem to be the case with the author.
        • She seems like a great person and fun to be friends with. I think she'd call you with an official invitation to game night if she asked for your phone number!
      • Meanwhile I'm following celebs less and less with every passing year. 
        • Yesterday at the Sprouts Market I saw a copy of Newsweek's special issue celebrating Harrison Ford's 50-year career at the checkout line. In days of yore I would have snapped that puppy up but I guess I just know what I need to know at this point. 
        • Getting older is the buzzkill here. I used to vaguely pay attention to my husband's sports teams and to keep myself entertained I picked out a player or two to follow and have pretend "crushes" for them. Now that the players are around my son's age --- early to mid-20s --- it just seems too creepy! Same for male celebrities but in this case the "players" don't "retire" when they reach 35!
          • I noticed this when watching shows like "Outlander" or "Game of Thrones". Outander's Jamie (Sam Heughan, age 36) is gorgeous, no doubt, but it's Dougal (Graham McTavish, age 55) that causes a bunch of us middle age women to sigh with lust! And my favorite guy on "Thrones" is Davos (Liam Cunningham, age 55). 
        • I used to love People Magazine but last time we had a subscription (a couple of years ago) I didn't anymore. I have no interest in paparazzi photos of celebs on vacation or walking their dog. And too many celebrities I have never heard of when you factor in all the reality TV stars!
          • That said, it's always the first magazine I pick up in my doctor's waiting room first because glancing through the pictures is better than starting --- and never finishing --- an article before my name is called.
        • On the other hand, I still need to keep up with celebs in general so I can answer "Jeopardy!" clues! It's a fine line between general knowledge and obsession!
        • A line in a "Weird Al" song called "TMZ": "LOOK who's picking up DOG poop!" 
          • So true. I have actually seen pictures in celeb magazines with stars carrying their dog's poop bags. Seriously?!
    • Recommended to me by my best friend's bestie. Thanks! This book was right up my alley. It took weeks to get it from the library as they only had two copies for three counties! (First world problems, right?)
    • Recommended for anyone who is interested in celebrity stories and a closer look at the publishing industry and how those celebrity-wrangling jobs work.

1 comment:

  1. You are totally invited to my New Year's Eve game night! Just call me.

    ReplyDelete