Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Thanks for the Money by Joel McHale

  • THE BOOK
    • Thanks for the Money: How to Use My Life Story to Become the Best Joel McHale You Can Be by Joel McHale
    • Published October 25, 2016
    • First book by author

  • THE PREMISE
    • Joel McHale, actor and comedian, has written a sarcastic/satirical memoir and self-help book.
    • There are lots of anecdotes that are true and there are several that aren't. It isn't always easy to figure out which is which.
    • He has starred in the TV shows "Community", "The Soup", and "The Great Indoors" and has been in a handful of films.

  • MY THOUGHTS
    • I was an avid "Community" fan and watched the last several years of "The Soup" so I was familiar with his work.
      • "The Soup" is especially notable for it gave me the only exposure I had to shows like "Keeping Up with the Kardashians", "The Real Housewives of [your town here]", "The Bachelor/ette", "Hoarders" and especially, "Gold Rush Alaska". 
    • This was cute and a quick read. I enjoyed the memoir portion more than the self-help portion.
      • My favorite thing --- because I truly laughed out loud at it --- was when he began by referring to his two sons as "Boy 1" and "Other Boy". My husband and I have always referred to our son as "The Boy" and I have a feeling we might very well have used "Other Boy" had we had another son.
    • The illustrations and photos are amusing and add to the overall amusement of the book.
    • He actually expounds on the difficulty of working with Chevy Chase on "Community". Many memoirists tend to shy away from this type of detail so it was interesting to see it in here.
      • It would have been nice, as a fan of the show, to have even more "Community" anecdotes, even though they may not be scandalous as the Chevy stories. Maybe next book.
    • Recommended for fans of Joel McHale and people who enjoy celebrity books. You'll recognize the tropes he makes fun of, including the Scientology chapter.

1 comment:

  1. You can never have enough mentions of "Gold Rush Alaska," home of the Glory Hole.

    ReplyDelete