Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Mother-Daughter Book Camp by Heather Vogel Frederick

  • THE BOOK
    • Mother-Daughter Book Camp by Heather Vogel Frederick
    • Book 7 of the Mother-Daughter Book Club series and the final book of the series
    • Published May 3, 2016
    • Other works by author include the series Pumpkin Falls, Patience Goodspeed and Spy Mice, and several standalone novels for middle grade readers.

  • THE PREMISE
    • The girls from the earlier books in the series, which started when they were middle schoolers, are now spending the summer before college working as camp counselors at Camp Lovejoy.
    • The mothers don't figure as much in these books, mainly visiting on the camp's parents' day and appearing near the end of camp.
    • Several girls, as young as 7 or 8, appear as campers who make a big impression.
    • To combat homesickness in their young charges the main characters revive their book club using the book Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher, first published in 1916.

  • MY THOUGHTS
    • I have read the first 6 books of the series as well and thought that book 6 was the last one. I stumbled across this one at some point recently and had to read the final book.
    • I have never heard of Understood Betsy! I have requested it from the library so stay tuned for an entry on it soon!
      • I don't think my mother read many books when she was a kid. She played sports instead. Thus I don't ever remember her recommending any specific books to me although she bought me everything I wanted from Scholastic Books.
      • The Catholic school I attended had a very small library and if it had this book I never ran across it there. I remember most of the books were old and looked dull so I never checked much if anything out from it.
      • When we moved to California when I was 12 we started going to the local library and that's where I discovered the Little House books and read all the Beverly Cleary books too (I HATED Ramona, that pesky brat to poor older sister Beezus!).
      • I knew about Nancy Drew but never picked one up for some reason.
      • And then it was the also the 1970s so there were a lot of angsty books available to read.
      • I am still amazed to find out the names of books that lots of readers loved as children and teens and I somehow missed them!
        • My very best friend introduced me to the Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace when I was in my 20s. Isn't it amazing that I had never heard of those either?!
    • As for this book, it was a little difficult to get back into it in some ways because you really need to have read the first 6 books to get all the references to the main characters families! I enjoyed them but I had forgotten the details. And then introducing a whole bunch of new characters!
    • But like stories set at boarding schools, who doesn't like a good summer camp story?
      • This story was cute and that camp sounded awesome!
      • Some of the younger characters have potential and might be a way for the author to create a new series down the line with a new group of girls.
    • I feel this was a good wrap up to the series. Now that the main characters are all 17 or 18 they really can't be middle grade series leads anymore.
    • Recommended for readers of the first 6 books and those who like a cute summer camp story. If you focus on the camp story and ignore the comments relating to past books then a new reader will be able to enjoy this book too.

1 comment: