Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer

  • THE BOOK
    • The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer
    • Published August 16, 2016
    • First book by author
    • Known for stand-up comedy, contestant on "Last Comic Standing", Comedy Central show "Inside Amy Schumer", and last summer's film "Trainwreck".

  • THE PREMISE
    • Like almost every book by a celebrity who's considered funny, this is a book of essays about the author's life.
    • Topics include her childhood, her college years, her decade of toiling as a stand-up comic before getting her own TV show, her sexual experiences, her family and several others.

  • MY THOUGHTS
    • If you like Amy Schumer's comic sensibilities you will likely enjoy much of her book. It's not always a laugh riot as she covers some fairly serious topics but the funny parts made me laugh. 
    • I enjoy her TV show so I thought I would like her book and I did.
      • She comes off as relatable in that you start to imagine that you could be best friends with her if you ever meet in person.
      • She considers herself an introvert who needs time away from people; she hates parties; she's bawdy; she enjoys wine and food; etc...
        • Me too! Let's be pals, Amy! (OK, I don't like wine but my friends do!)
        • But of course, that's one of Amy's points: we don't generally meet celebs and even if we do they already have their own friends (as do I).
    • And if you don't like Amy Schumer or female comedians in general, well then, DON'T READ THE BOOK. You may even pretend it doesn't exist. No need to waste time on people's books if you don't like them.
      • Apparently there was a campaign by one or more persons who gave her book low reviews on Amazon.com just because they HATE Amy Schumer.
      • Life is too short for me to waste on people I don't like. I am not a fan of "hate watching" either (or hate reading, in this case).
    • Recommended for fans of Amy Schumer.

1 comment:

  1. I have not read her book, watched her TV show or seen her do stand-up. I do not know her at all. So of course I hate her.

    ReplyDelete