Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Look, I Made a Hat by Stephen Sondheim

  • THE BOOK
    • Look, I Made a Hat: Collected Lyrics, 1981-2011, with Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes and Miscellany by Stephen Sondheim
    • Published November 22, 2011
    • Other book by the author: Finishing the Hat: Collected Lyrics, 1954-1981, with Attendant Comments, Principles, Heresies, Grudges, Whines and Anecdotes

  • THE PREMISE
    • The lyrics and details cover the musical plays Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods, Assassins and more.
    • Stephen Sondheim has been a composer and lyricists since the 1950s and had written several classic musicals. They are all included in his two books. I read the first book a few years back and finally picked this one up after watching the movie "Into the Woods" last month.

  • MY THOUGHTS
    • I haven't seen all of Sondheim's works but I have seen versions of Gypsy, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Sweeney Todd, West Side Story, and Company
    • As I said I had just watched the movie of "Into the Woods" so I thought it would be a good time to start delving into the lyrics. It is not easy reading lyrics when you don't necessarily know the music and the dialogue is not included in the books so it's not always easy to follow the stories.
    • For the record, "Into the Woods" was kind of weird. The first half was cute and a a clever take on getting fairy tale characters their happy endings. Then comes part 2 and whoo boy! Then everyone gets an unhappy ending. Talk about depressing!
      • This doesn't make it bad --- it was entertaining --- just different from what I expected as I went in with no notion of the plot. The cast was good, the best being Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt.
    • As an assassin buff I would like to see a version of that musical someday.
    • Recommended for those who have an interest in Sondheim and musical theater.

1 comment:

  1. "As an assassin buff" Wait, what? Should I be worried?

    ReplyDelete