Sunday, July 24, 2016

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders

  • THE BOOK
    • All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders
    • Published January 26, 2016
    • Other works by the author include: The Unfathomable Sisterhood of Ick, Six Months Three Days, Choir Boy and many more.

  • THE PREMISE
    • Two middle schoolers, both outcasts for different reasons, come together and form a friendship. Patricia loves nature and develops magical powers while Laurence is a mechanical genius, building a two-second time machine and a super-computer, all before they turn 14.
    • They are separated just before high school and reunite 10 years later while living in San Francisco. Patricia has graduated from her magical school and Laurence works for a billionaire genius who plans to save humanity by sending some of them to a new planet.
    • The magical and the technological forces are opposing and therein lies the tale.

  • MY THOUGHTS
    • I hadn't heard of the author but I kept seeing the cover on Amazon's book page and it intrigued me. Birds fly all over the title.
      • I would add a picture but Blogger has decided that adding photos is not possible, apparently, unless you use the Google Chrome browser (Blogger is a Google product). No, I'm not irritated by this. NOT ONE LITTLE BIT. Guh.
      • Dammit! You win, Google!
    • This was a little science fiction mixed with a little magic story. You really get to know the characters as kids before the story moves on to the adult years. I didn't understand why all the school kids treated them so poorly; it felt like such extreme bullying. I assume that this kind of bullying really does exist though. I was just lucky enough to have never experience it and I was nice enough to have never dished it out.
    • I would love to see more about the magical school. It really isn't the point of the book but it had some great attributes and so many people are suckers for boarding school stories --- magical or otherwise --- me included.
    • I am not sure if there will be a sequel. The story ends such that it may or may not require one.
    • Recommended for people who like a little magic with their science fiction and probably for a younger audience than a woman in her 50s. I really liked it though, despite my non-youth.

1 comment:

  1. Embrace the Chrome; your life will be changed forever, especially if you can keep going back two seconds.

    ReplyDelete