Friday, May 27, 2016

The Cabaret of Plants by Richard Mabey

  • THE BOOK
    • The Cabaret of Plants: Forty Thousand Years of Plant Life and the Human Imagination by Richard Mabey
    • Published January 11, 2016
    • Other books by the author include: Food for Free, The Unofficial Countryside, and Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature.

  • THE PREMISE
    • Plants and trees are central to human existence and the author covers specific types of them over the course of the book.
    • Each chapter covers a different type of plant life: baobabs, yew trees, old trees, cotton (he calls it the "vegetable lamb" but do they actually shear lambs? Shouldn't that be "vegetable sheep"? Am I overthinking this?!) and many more.
 
  • MY THOUGHTS
    • I didn't love it and found most of it kinda boring but the section on ancient cave art was fascinating. Since that was at the beginning I kept reading in the hope of more chapters like that one. Alas, no.
    • Usually when I read a micro-history I can recite pointless facts ad nauseum afterwards but not this time. I have remained unscathed by new knowledge.
    • The author does have a lovely writing style but this book was not ultimately for me.

2 comments:

  1. By the time that it gets to the table, the lamb has definitely been sheared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I didn't love it and found most of it kinda boring" was not a surprise ending to this post. Good lord.

    Hey, I mailed you something this week - I loved it and I hope you do too!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete