Thursday, March 3, 2016

Photo Freedom by Stacy Julian

  • THE BOOK
    • Photo Freedom by Stacy Julian
    • Published February 26, 2008
 
  • THE PREMISE
    • Stacy Julian was a writer for two scrapbook magazines I liked: Creating Keepsakes and Simple Scrapbooks. She also made appearances on scrapbook TV shows called "Scrapbook Soup" and "Scrapbook Memories".
    • She advocates a "big picture" method of scrapbooking. This means your scrapbooks should be about the stories rather than documenting EVERYthing. I don't document everything anymore but I am definitely all about the stories that go with the pictures.
    • This book has details to create a photo organization system to allow you to make story connections, things you won't see if you scrap chronologically.
      • Her example is that by storing pictures by each family member and then by categories within each member, you will see things differently.
        • You may find that your son loves popsicles because you have several different years of photos with him eating a popsicle filed under Son->Summer->Food. Now you can make a scrapbook page about his love of popsicles!

  • MY COMMENTS
    • Yeah, no. Not for me.
    • I bought this book years ago (probably in 2008) and it has been sitting on my shelf since then.
    • I am sure this method works for many people, at least according to the reviews on Amazon and Good Reads so obviously it's a useful system.
    • My way of scrapbooking has changed over the years. In the early days it was FANCY. My methodology is so much simpler now (see this entry of my regular blog to see what I mean: Scrapbooking Like a Bookkeeper).
    • I don't feel the need to start again and re-categorize my photos in a more abstract way. My sorting is chronological and that works well for my analytical mind.
    • The reality is that no one will want 50 volumes of scrapbooks once you're dead! Now I am working more on overview albums in a smaller range: vacations, pets, wedding, and the like.
    • I really like Stacy though. She's definitely a "don't sweat the small stuff" personality and I think we all need that reminder from time to time!

4 comments:

  1. Will reorganized pictures really show the true love (and patience) your husband has for his wife? Is such love worthy of a scrapbook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would find said love more compelling if organized by theme rather than chronology, but I'm probably not the intended audience.

      xx

      Delete
    2. Our love is chronological AND thematic! How's that?!

      Everyone is different when it comes to organizing stuff, that's for sure.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you're not throwing away pictures of ME - I don't want some stranger doing voodoo on them.

      But when you do make a scrapbook of our love, I would like a tiny picture of CPAMichael on the corner of each page, looking wistful.

      xxx

      Delete